The manufacturing complex of the Royal Veiga Factory, where some archaeological structures remain preserved and integrated in the museological project of this area is currently settled by the interconnection of three building in granite ashlar masonry, located near Goldra Stream, in Covilhã, where the wool manufacture headquarter was located. This one was founded by José Mendes Veiga in 1784, from a dye-house workshop. It established in this place because of the influence of the pombaline intervention in the Royal Textile Factory.
The first building, from 1784, aimed to the establishment of a dye-house was the target of consecutive enlargements either at the level of the buildings number or their volumetric until 1834, when it turned into a complete factory. Iconographic sources from the end of the 19th century allow the observation of a diversified manufacturing complex arranged in constructions of two different sets. The first, having the Goldra Stream at south and the Biribau stone-paved roadway at north, was the space where almost all the production was concentrated, working in these building the preparing, spinning, weaving, dyeing and finishing sections. The second, border of the Royal Textile Factory of Covilhã, which extended south to the same stone-apved roadway, aimed to lodge the commercial space of the company with the offices and warehouse as well as the necessary structures to the manufacture process (for example, the sun tenters). In this complex, between the end of the 19th century and the end of Cândido Alexandre de Albuquerque Calheiro’s (Count of Covilhã) administration, a third aggregate of buildings, which were located between the Royal Textile Factory and the Rato Bridge, having on the north side the Royal Road no. 55 and on the south side the Biribau path and the Goldra Stream, were integrated.
It was the headquarter of a business-related complex, in its highest period, from 1835 to 1891, and it included about 20 manufactures, as well as several spinning schools scattered predominantly over the Covilhã and Fundão municipalities.
For this reason, the built complex has progressed according to either the company growth or the technological evolution. In this way, the changes that affected the building contributed to consecutive modifications. That way, at the end of the 19th century, the primitive structures were partially destroyed due to the violence of Goldra Stream water, as a consequence of the heavy rainfall and, in the nineties of the 20th century, a violent fire destroyed completely the inside of the north side. The Granite ashlar masonry façades were the only thing that remained.
The complex was inaugurated on April 30th, 2005, presenting an area of about 12000 m², having the architectonic intervention been financed with communitarian allocations coming from the Operational Programme POCentro – AIBT / Serra da Estrela.
This manufacturing complex is composed by three bodies that developed alongside the Golgra or Degoldra Stream: the main body at north characterised by the existence of large naves that link together the three floors, and a two-floor body at south.
At west, the manufacturing building was the object of an architectonic project aimed to the installation of a parking place.
The constructed complex develops essentially in three buildings (Bodies A, B and C) on three floors:
All the floors have direct access to the outside and the existing connections in the building allow an easy access of loads, both in Floor 0 and Floor 1. This situation allows versatility in its usage and in the arrangement of the exhibition machineries and materials.